Image Projector – a unique WordPress image viewer that provides a responsive full-window view and slider for images in posts or pages, including galleries and carousels. Developed for photos, useful for all types of images.
- Plug and Play, no editing of code needed
- Context-dependent image collections automatically created
- Tolerant to markup variations
- Visitor can switch view style and background
- Zoom and pan
- Smooth navigation with mouse, wheel, keyboard or touch gestures
- Static controls that does not jump with the image size
- Visibility of individual controls can be specified
- Uses on-demand image loading and preloading – fast startup
- Optional thumbstrip when relevant
- Optional support for flipping image and viewing image in grayscale
- Supports modern image formats WebP and AVIF when browser supports it
- Humble and quiet appearance
Used on an archive page, it will limit the images to those attached to the queried posts (typically category and tag results or search results).
It may well be used in combination with 3rd party or WordPress native galleries.
For available admin options, please see settings.
This plugin does not track users. It does not store any data to the database other than plugin settings, neither does it send any data to any server.
Last used view style and background style is stored in a cookie on visitor’s device and applied if visitor returns.
- Upload the plugin to your WordPress plugin directory or install it by using the „Add Plugin” function of WordPress
- Activate the plugin at the plugin administration page.
- Modify the plugin settings as desired and save changes.
-or possibly frequently asked…
Why did you make this plugin when there are so many others to chose from?
Good question! Being a photo enthusiast having a WordPress site with one post per image, I realized after a while that there were limited possibilities to show the images in a smooth flow.
To avoid the cumbersome manual navigation between posts, I decided to (try to) write a plugin to collect the image from each post, show them in an image slider and then navigate to the post from the image. The content of the slider is then defined based on the context of the page, for intance an archive page that contain the result of a tag query.
Messing around with various gallery plugins – that always require som extra effort to set up – or modifying page template code was not an option.
Eventually the plugin was extended to be applied for general use as well, and the handling of one-post-per-image has just become an optional feature that can be turned on/off from the plugin settings page.
Are there any shortcut keys available?
Yes, for those users who are blessed with a keyboard:
right arrow/left arrow – next/previous
C – toggle caption if supported
A or P – toggle autoplay
B – switch background class
L – last image
T – swith between slide in/out or cross-fade transition
V or S – switch view style
X – exit
Z – zoom mode on/off
Which touch gesture or mouse operations are supported?
swipe left/right go to next/previous image
spipe up/down exit viewer
pinch – zoom
doubleclick/doubletap – enter/exit zoom mode
left mouse button down while swiping right/left with mouse – next/previous
ctrl key and left mouse button down while swiping up/down – enter zoom mode and do zooming
mousewheel – zoom when in zoom mode
click caption – turn off display of caption if captions are supported. Turn it on again from menu.
Only one image from a gallery or carousel is shown, and no arrows – why?
Probably due to that the the gallery or carousel wrapper is not detected. Please specify the parent element to all the gallery or carousel elements. If in doubt, do not hesitate to file a support ticket.
Can I choose which posts/pages and images it shall be activated for?
Yes. This can be specified in the plugin settings page.
Can I modify the styles?
Yes. Please have a look into the plugin settings page and the stylesheet located in the plugin directory. If you need advice on how to set up the styles, please leave a support message.
Is it responsive and touch-device friendly?
Yes, I think so.
That’s right, it was made like this for simplification. The menu can anway be accessed by a long-press, and it will appear as context menu.
Please submit a message in the support section if you think it should be different.
Does it work in all versions of all browsers?
Most likely not, but it seem to work as expected in ‘all modern browsers’. There may be several ways of marking up a page so there could be situations when some tuning is necessary. Please leave a message in the support section if it does not work as expected.
Contributori și dezvoltatori
„Image Projector – a lightbox” este un software open-source. La acest modul au contribuit următoarele persoane.Contributori
- Zoom – click on displayed zoom factor to show image in 1:1.
- Image counter – added more options to control display of the counter.
- Fixed error setting zoom center when pinching in view style 1.
- Late css loading revealed issues on certain themes. Moved css loading back to header.
- Added option in Features to show image counter. Default off.
- Now showing current image scale together with current zoom factor when zoom is active.
- Improvements to the full image and thumb image collection process.
- Removed use of file_get_contents that was used to load icon definition into page. Some servers may not be set up to allow this, resulting in no icons shown. Icon href now links to icon in svg sprite file included in the plugin.
- Fixed glitch that could cause a low resolution version of the image to be selected for viewing.
- Added option in Timings to set time before fading out control buttons when no user actiity.
- Minor general improvements.
- Tested for WordPress 6.2.
- Added option in Appearance to set the z-index of the viewer background. Set this to a higher value than the highest z-index applied to other elements to prevent viewer being obscured fully or partly.
- Added option in Timings to prevent device from dimming screen and going to sleep when running slide show. May not be supported in all browsers.
- Minor adjustments to pinch zoom.
- Improved handling of IMG elements with missing src attribute.
- Minor issue with loading updated js.
- Confirmed support for AVIF image format when browser supports it.
- Added option to specify a list of post/page slugs or post ids where the plugin shall not be activated.
- Added option to specify a list of post/page slugs or post ids where the plugin shall be activated. Plugin will not be activated elsewhere.
- Added option to not show the go-to-post button that will navigate to the post when clicked. This will prevent navigating to post from the image and applies only when „Collect post images” is checked.
- Tested for WordPress 6.1.
- Fixed occasional prevention of panning at max zoom.
- Tested for WordPress 6.0.
- Added option to specify any image wrappers inside swipers/sliders that shall be excluded from the image collection. These may represent hidden, duplicate images included only for technical reasons.
- Introduced check of duplicate images in galleries and slideshows. Duplicates will now be ignored.
- Prefixed class names for image orientation to avoid conflict with WP native gallery.
- Reset full screen view (if applied from plugin) when closing viewer.
- Added option to set max zoom factor.
- Added option to control whether buttons shall fade out after a period of inactivity.
- Added option to control display of menu button.
- Removed the Ruler feature as it was assumed not much in use.
- Added option in Features to turn off one-image-per-post assumption. Default off.
- Added option in Controls to show full screen toggle. Using this rather than F11 will hide any scrollbars.
- Improved detection of groups of images that defines the content of slider and thumbstrip.
- Minor adjustments and rearrangement of the plugin admin settings tabs.
- Tested for WordPress 5.9.